|The boy in I’ll Catch You If You Fall wants to keep his star safe. Here’s how you can make a little star of your own to look after. And while you’re waiting for your star to set, try playing the Safe Sea Voyage board game!
1. Sea Stars
– Star-shaped ice cube mould (Ikea currently sells a good one)
– Baby pasta stars
– Plaster of Paris – plus water and an old container and spoon for mixing
Here’s what to do:
1. Sprinkle a little glitter and a pinch of pasta stars into your mould.
2. Add a drop of coloured ink (N.B. too much ink may make the plaster too wet, so don’t go mad!)
3. Mix the plaster of Paris; two parts plaster to one part water. (Tip: gradually add the powder to the water, rather than the other way around. Let all the powder sink in first – once you stir it, the setting process begins!)
4. Carefully pour the plaster mixture into your mould.
5. Wait about 1 hour for the plaster to set, then pop out your sturdy little star!
Will you put it in your pocket or find a special little box in which to keep your star safe?
Twinkle, twinkle, little star! How I wonder what you are.
2. Safe Sea Voyage board game
Click on the black and white image to download a pdf of the game board. The sheet includes instructions and can be printed onto A3 paper.
You’ll also need: – Dice
– Coloured crayons/pens/pencils, if you want to colour in the board
I wonder if you’ll catch a fish?
One, two, three, four, five – once I caught a fish alive!